Book a Test
How to book the driving test:
Driving Test Application Requirements.
You can book a driving test online or by post. Please note you cannot book your driving test by phone.
Before booking your driving test online:
- Verify that you are eligible to sit your test — 6 month rule.
- You are required to undertake the mandatory lessons for certain motorcyclists (IBT) or car drivers (EDT) before you can take the test.
- Know your current, valid driver number.
- Know your PPS number—this can be found on tax documents or your pay slip and it is often on correspondence from a social welfare or tax office.
- You must have a valid debit or credit card (Visa and Mastercard are currently accepted).
- If you are applying by post payments can be made by cheque, postal order or bank draft.
Driving test waiting times
How long do I have to wait?
We aim to have a national average waiting time for a driving test of no longer than 10 weeks.As a result of Covid-19 measures, our capacity to undertake driving tests, at pre-Covid 19 levels, has reduced. In view of this, we are prioritising customers based on their application date and some customers may experience a delay in receiving their test date. Candidates making an application today may be waiting 25-30 weeks for their test. If you are waiting for a test date, we will contact you once we reach your date of application. Because of this, average waiting times at test centre level do not show an accurate picture of how long a particular individual might be waiting for an appointment and therefore are not being published. We are conscious of the need to increase test capacity and work is ongoing to do this and get waiting times back to a ten-week average over a period of time.
When will I receive a test date?
When you register with MyRoadSafety.ie you can set your driving goal. If no suitable test dates are available you will be presented with a facility to be placed on a waiting list. When new driving test slots become available you will be contacted to advise you of this and invite you to log onto MyRoadSafety.ie to make your driving test booking.
You can book and pay for a driving test at a date, time and venue of your choosing.